Sunday 12 October 2014

End of Vol I: Chps 10 - 18

Well, here we go again, with more action-packed chapters. :)

Some major events that happened in these chapters:

-Isabella and John Knightley come to visit
- Emma and Mr. (George) Knightley become friends again after their fight over Harriet
-Christmas party, at which time Harriet is sick, stays home, and Emma is proposed to by Mr. Elton (as foretold by Mr. John Knightley. Also, see discussion and connection below)
-Emma's fascination with Mr. Frank Churchill (who she's never met) really begins here
- Frank Churchill again becomes important; important enough for another quarrel (this one smaller than the last) between Knightley and Emma

Discussion

I'd like to focus on the Christmas party bit, specifically Mr. Elton's proposal, subsequent refusal, and the pain and awkwardness that followed. This scene marks Emma's first failure in matchmaking---one that she was sure would be successful, to the point where she encouraged Harriet to form an attachment to Mr. Elton that now causes her pain. I'm a little ashamed of Emma: I thought with all her "ready wit" she would have seen it all coming from a mile away (the framing of the picture, the charade, etc was all for her) but she was blinded by her determination to make a match, so she bent everything to skew it one way or another. Both Knightley brothers cautioned her against this, both mentioning Mr. Elton as a warning flag and to both she laughed and walked away. Not only is this part painful for Emma because it means hurting Harriet, its also painful because it affects her opinion of Mr. Elton. She says on pg 116 (kindle), "...Mr. Elton was proving himself, in many respects, the very reverse of what she had meant and believed him; proud, assuming, conceited; very full of his own claims, and little concerned about the feelings of others." (Kinda sounds like our modern day average teenage boy, don't you think?) Not only does Emma blunder in not properly interpreting Mr. Elton's actions, her own actions coincide (though, she admits this, which is a step forward in terms of humility): she was always very kind to him, encouraged him to spend more time at Hartfield, etc.

After all this pain and internal conflict, Emma goes through a good "purge", where she admits to herself that being so active in matchmaking was a bad idea, and also recognizes that she may have lost the only admirer that Harriet will actually get (Mr. Martin) by convincing her that Mr. Elton was a much more suitable prize. Luckily for Emma, Harriet takes the news relatively well (she cries, but blames no one) and Mr. Elton leaves town for a few weeks vacation in Bath (Okay, is it just me, or do guys in older books like this always go on vacation somewhere when in love/trying to forget some girl? I'll bring this up later in the blog NO SPOILERS). So, for the first time we (I) get to say, "Badly done, Emma! Very badly done!" but afterwards we can console ourselves with a "well, at least she's trying to make Harriet feel better now". It's not much, but its what we've got.

Connection

The scene where Mr. Elton expresses his passionate love for Emma is hilarious (and awkward) in the 1996 movie with Gwyneth Paltrow, so, for your enjoyment:


One thing that caught my attention here was "kindly refrain from the intimacy of whispering". I've never really thought of whispering as something "intimate" but now that I think about it, whispering is mostly an action reserved for very good friends, secrets, and couples. So, yeah, it is kind of an intimate thing. For more on whispering, here's a study done on the "perception and judgement of whispered vocalisations".


Passsage

I had several short things highlighted throughout these chapters, but here are my favorite bits and pieces:

1. Emma declares she won't marry (HA):
"My being charming, Harriet, is not quite enough to induce me to marry; I must find other people charming-one other person at least. And I am not only, not going to be married, at present, but have very little intention of ever marrying at all."
She continues later on the page:
"Were I to fall in love indeed, it would be a different thing! But I have never been in love; it is not my way, or my nature; and I do not think I ever shall. And without love, I am sure I should be a fool to change such a situation as mine. Fortune I do not want; employment I do not want; consequence I do not want: I believe few married women are half as much mistress of their husband's house as I am of Hartfield; and never, never could I expect to be so truly beloved and important; so always first and always right in any man's eyes as I am in my father's!"

(pg 72/73 K) 

Ah! What great thought we used to put into getting married! I wish we gave that much consideration now-days. 

2. "Never mind,  Harriet, I shall not be a poor old maid; and it is poverty only which makes celibacy contemptible to a generous public!"

 (pg 73/74 K)
True; sad, but true.

Well, that's it! Next week I start Volume II, where hopefully the famous Mr. Frank Churchill will be finally introduced!

~Claire

1 comment:

  1. I really like the connection you made this week regarding "intimate whispering". I hadn't ever thought of it like that, but it really does make sense. I know that if I see two people in a group whispering, I tend to assume they're talking about me (or someone).

    ReplyDelete